I’ve done this in previous years, it’s where I tear the Leeds squad to shreds. It’s my answer to the question nobody asked. Here are the players around whom I want to draw a discreet curtain and those who I want to lock up so they can’t be poached by a tinpot club with seven fans.
It’s been a decent season and I hope we can develop on it next year.
- Robert Green – Keep. He’s been one of the players of the season despite his age.
- Marco Silvestri – Get rid.
- Bailey Peacock-Farrell – Keep until his contract expires and he gets released to League Two.
- Luke Ayling – Keep, I love him.
- Kyle Bartley – Please, please, please sign him up. He’s been great.
- Liam Cooper – Keep, good to have around the squad.
- Pontus Jansson – Just pay the fee. It’s been agreed. Do it. The man’s a legend.
- Charlie Taylor – I would have said keep but looks like he’s on his way. He’s made his decision by refusing to play and it breaks my heart. I remember his debut and I’d have loved him to become a club legend. He’ll be on the bench at a bottom half Premier League club next year.
- Gaetano Berardi – Nuts but I love him. Keep.
- Lewie Coyle – Really developed this season. Would love to see him get more game time next year.
- Tyler Denton – Give him cup games next year.
- Eunan O’Kane – Squad player.
- Stuart Dallas – Still around the squad.
- Matt Grimes – Goodbye.
- Pablo Hernandez – Hello 😉
- Kalvin Phillips – Love him, hope he kicks on and doesn’t stagnate like Alex Mowatt did before we released him.
- Hadi Sacko – Lovely little player when he’s on form.
- Ronaldo Vieira – First teamer next year.
- Liam Bridcutt – Didn’t live up to his standards from last year but still experienced and quality. Keep him around.
- Madou Barrow – See ya!
- Alfonso Pedraza – Would love to hang on to him for longer, looks like he has real promise.
- Kemar Roofe – Not the best season but not the worst. He’s trying hard and I think he’ll develop.
- Chris Wood – Keep at all costs (never thought I’d say that). Desperately hope he can recreate this season’s form next year.
- Marcus Antonsson – Can see him being loaned out in January if we get another striker. Otherwise, he’ll be off next summer. Would love him to start firing, or at least be a super sub like Davide Somma was a few years ago but I fear not.
- Souleymane Doukara – THAT goal was amazing but otherwise he’s a bit of a donkey.
- GARRY MONK!!
- Another forward – we need backup for Wood. We need the potential for goals.
- Another central midfielder – an all rounder with a bit of class. Vieira and Phillips are both still young while Bridcutt has been hit and miss. There are rumours of Howson returning and he’d be the right sort of player but I don’t know if he’s the exact player we need right now.
- Another winger – despite Dallas, Sacko, Pedraza, I really think we need another option.
- Left back – Taylor’s on his way and we need more options at full back.
- Goalkeeper – straight swap squad player for Silvestri unless we can get someone really good to challenge Green but don’t see that happening.
- Central defender – I have a bad feeling we’re not going to retain both Jansson and Bartley so we need to bring someone in. No idea who.
We came pretty close this year but in reality this squad was punching above its weight, thanks mainly to Garry Monk. He’s the most important signing we can make. He needs time and resources to build.
It was a decent season, the best I’ve felt about the club for a while and I’d like to see us grow from that base.